Installing Firedrake

I want to install firedrake, a powerful library that I am helping to develop. A link on how to download can be found at teh following,

http://firedrakeproject.org/download.html

First I downloaded the files using curl, and that seemed to work fine.

The next step is to do “python firedrake-install”. I have done this on Mac OS X and Ubuntu before and it usually works beautifully. However, when I try it here I get a request for my sudo pass word. I copied the output below. I tried my login password and that didn’t work. But I am surprised that this is required because normally one can install this locally, without sudo.

Can someone tell me how i might be able to proceed?

Cheers, Francis

Checking for presence of package python-dev…
Package: python-dev
Priority: optional
Section: python
Installed-Size: 18
Maintainer: Matthias Klose doko@debian.org
Architecture: amd64
Multi-Arch: allowed
Source: python-defaults
Version: 2.7.11-2
Depends: python (= 2.7.11-2), libpython-dev (= 2.7.11-2), python2.7-dev (>= 2.7.11-11~)
Description: header files and a static library for Python (default)
Header files, a static library and development tools for building
Python modules, extending the Python interpreter or embedding Python
in applications.
This package is a dependency package, which depends on Debian’s default
Python version (currently v2.7).
Homepage: http://www.python.org/
installed.
Checking for presence of package python-pip…
dpkg-query: package ‘python-pip’ is not installed and no information is available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
missing.
Checking for presence of package python-tk…
dpkg-query: package ‘python-tk’ is not installed and no information is available
missing.
Checking for presence of package zlib1g-dev…
dpkg-query: package ‘zlib1g-dev’ is not installed and no information is available
missing.
Installing missing packages: autoconf, automake, cmake, git-core, libblas-dev, liblapack-dev, libopenmpi-dev, libtool, mercurial, openmpi-
bin, python-pip, python-tk, zlib1g-dev.

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.                                                                                                    
#2) Think before you type.                                                                                                            
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.                                                                                      

[sudo] password for fpoulin:
Sorry, try again.

Hi @fpoulin I took a quick look and there is quite a long list of dependencies for firedrake, the install script is detecting that and prompting for their installation, but that won’t work inside those environments.

The environments running jupyter are stripped down so that they aren’t too cumbersome, so some things might be missing. Some other things (like pip) which the script is complaining about are actually installed, but not via dpkg, which is also tripping up the install.

At the moment we’re focused on trying to make things as generic as possible, so it might not be possible to modify the system image enough to install this way. I will try to take a more detailed look when I get a chance, but in the longer term we’d like to offer more customized environments via login selection.

-Ian.